Winnipeg kitchen fire sends 1 to hospital


The city is reminding Winnipeggers of cooking safety after a person was taken to hospital due to a house fire in the West Kildonan neighbourhood on Saturday morning.

Learn about cooking safety and have an escape plan, city urges residents

One person was injured and taken to hospital in stable condition after a kitchen fire in West Kildonan. (Bryce Hoye/CBC)

An accidental cooking fire at a home in West Kildonan sent a person to hospital on Saturday morning.

Shortly before noon, fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a home on Libra Street between North Point Boulevard and Orion Crescent, according to a Saturday news release from Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services.

An injured person was treated by paramedics and taken to hospital in stable condition.

A damage estimate of the fire is not yet available, the release says. 

The city is reminding Winnipeggers that when they are cooking they should:

  • Stay in their kitchen and remember to turn off stove burners when leaving.
  • Keep flammable items away from the stovetop.
  • Heat cooking oils slowly.
  • Use a metal lid to cover and contain a small oil fire or use a fire extinguisher.
  • Never use water to try to extinguish a stove top fire.
  • Never move a pan that is on fire because burns or injuries might.
  • Have a home escape plan and practised it frequently.

View original article here Source