Rapid response team going to Winnipeg care home as 8 new deaths reported

A rapid response team is being sent to Maples Long-Term Care Home on Saturday evening after eight people died there in the last 48 hours, including two on Friday night, according to the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.

On Friday evening, 12 residents were treated by emergency medical staff because their status was deteriorating, said Gina Trinidad, the WRHA’s chief operating officer of long-term care, who was on site at the time and into the morning.

“Two residents who were receiving end-of-life care had passed between calls to the EMS and their arrival,” Trinidad said.

According to Revera, the company that runs the home, one of the patients who died did not have COVID-19, but the other did.

Three of the 10 remaining residents were taken to hospital because they needed higher-level medical care, Trinidad said.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service was called to the facility at 7:10 p.m. Within minutes, they received another call from the care home and a second ambulance was sent, as well as a district chief, the City of Winnipeg confirmed earlier on Saturday.

Crews were at the care home until 2 a.m. Saturday, the city said.

Trinidad said there were staff on every floor on Friday night, attending to patients, and there was a full roster.

The patients who died were checked on every hour before their death, Trinidad said, adding that the health authority has no plans at this point in time to take over control of the care home.

Support is coming for those residents, though.

The rapid response team that is going to the care home on Saturday is made up of community paramedics, Trinidad said. It will provide ongoing enhanced medical monitoring and assessment.

Trinidad doesn’t know how many people are on that team.

The Canadian Red Cross is also set to provide additional support at Maples Long-Term Care Home starting on Friday.

About 20 people will be providing that support, Trinidad said.

Although the WRHA is well-equipped to deal with the pandemic, Trinidad said, officials didn’t plan for the impact on health-care workers.

“That planning, I will be the first to say, that could have been improved to manage this,” she said.

Meanwhile, Manitoba’s health minister, Cameron Friesen, plans to address the public on Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

On Saturday afternoon, Friesen tweeted that he had met with officials following the situation at Maples and is “devastated to learn today about the situation.”

He said he had just come out of an “urgent meeting” with Revera, department officials and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, adding that he had directed health leadership to provide an explanation to Manitobans.

Mayor Brian Bowman tweeted that city staff “have been in contact with the WRHA and Shared Health identifying concerns for their attention and action.”

As of Friday, a total of 176 cases of COVID-19 had been reported in connection to the Maples facility — 55 involved staff and 122 involved what the province called “non-staff.” Of the 176 cases, 166 were considered active as of Friday.

Twelve deaths have been reported in connection with the Maples outbreak. Of those, three were announced on Saturday — a woman in her 60s, a man in his 70s and a woman in her 80s. It is not known whether those deaths were in any way connected with Friday night’s call to the facility.

View original article here Source