Manitoba’s COVID-19 case numbers rise, premier rejects call for near-lockdown

WINNIPEG — Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister is rejecting a call for tougher public-health orders to fight a rising number of COVID-19 cases.

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman says the province should look at imposing tougher rules because the third wave of the pandemic has arrived and is likely to get worse.

Pallister says Manitoba already has tight requirements, including mandatory self-isolation for anyone arriving from out of province and firm limits on social gatherings.

The rules were more restrictive for a short time last year when non-essential businesses were closed and most social visits inside private homes were forbidden.

Pallister says he is willing to keep an open mind but is following the advice of public-health experts.

Manitoba health officials are reporting 261 new COVID-19 cases and one additional death.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 22, 2021

View original article here Source