Canada News

Get the latest new in Candada

Toronto

5th teen accused in Toronto homeless man’s death expected to plead guilty to manslaughter

A fifth girl accused in the death of a homeless man in Toronto’s downtown core is expected to plead guilty.

Court heard the teen is expected to plead guilty to manslaughter on June 24. 

Four other girls are expected to enter guilty pleas in the coming days and weeks, though the court has not heard on what charges. CBC News has previously reported three other girls, aged 15, 16, and 16, are expected to plead not guilty.

Eight girls, including three 13-year-olds, three 14-year-olds and two 16-year-olds, were charged with second-degree murder in the December 2022 death of Kenneth Lee.

Police have said Lee, a 59-year-old who was living in the city’s shelter system, died after allegedly being stabbed by the girls from across the Greater Toronto Area.

A judge recently committed six of the teens to trial on second-degree murder and two on the lesser charge of manslaughter. 

Police have said they believe the accused girls met on social media before they gathered in person.

None of the accused can be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. 

Community members have described Lee as a kind, quiet man who was trying to defend a friend before he was attacked.

View original article here Source