Canada News

Get the latest new in Candada

Toronto

2 arrested, 3 wanted in scam that cost over 200 Ontarians: OPP

Two men have been arrested and three more are wanted on Canada-wide arrest warrants following a criminal investigation into a door-to-door sales scam that defrauded over 200 people in Ontario, police say.

An Ontario Provincial Police investigation that began in 2021 discovered a scam where salespeople visited the homes of older adults and vulnerable people, convincing them “into home service and/or renovation agreements at exorbitant prices,” police said in a release Wednesday.

Police said victims in many cases believed they were getting services for free through government rebates and grants.

The suspects would then allegedly use the fake agreements to register a Notice of Security Interest (NOSI), against the victims’ homes without their knowledge, police said.  Similar to a lien, a NOSI can be registered on the title of a property by companies when they finance or lease equipment on a property as a form of assurance that the contract will be paid. 

The suspects then paid those NOSIs off with fraudulent, high-interest mortgages against the homes, police said.

In many cases, police said, the fraud left victims in “financial peril,” forcing some to sell their homes.

“It is evident this fraud has been financially, emotionally, and physically devastating for many victims across the province,” police said in the release.

WATCH | Senior ends up with huge high-interest rate mortgage:

Senior ends up with huge high-interest rate mortgage

1 year ago

Duration 2:51

It started with a knock on the door, but became a high-interest mortgage that 79-year old Karl Hoffmann’s family says he never asked for or understood.

Members of Ontario’s Serious Fraud Office arrested have arrested two men in connection with the fraud, police said, both of whom now face charges.

A 39-year-old from Mississauga has been charged with fraud over $5,000, conspiracy to commit an indictable offence and laundering proceeds of crime, police said, and a 40-year-old from Scarborough faces two counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Police said Canada-wide arrest warrants have been issued for the three outstanding suspects, aged 23, 28 and 33.

Several seniors affected by the alleged fraud spoke to CBC’s Marketplace last year. Many accused one of the outstanding suspects specifically of defrauding them, allowing him to live a life of luxury. The OPP said it seized a Lamborghini from the man last year.

View original article here Source