Canada News

Get the latest new in Candada

Ottawa

Woman in critical condition, 2 pets dead after apartment fire near Lebreton Flats

A woman was taken to hospital in critical condition following a fire that broke out in an apartment unit near Lebreton Flats on Sunday evening.

Ottawa firefighters received multiple 9-1-1 calls reporting thick black smoke from a five-storey apartment complex at 170 Booth Street, at the intersection of Albert Street and near the Pimisi LRT station at approximately 7 p.m.

Upon arrival, Ottawa Fire Services spokesperson Nick Defazio says the fire was found in an apartment on the fourth-storey, where thick black smoke was found inside the unit.

Firefighters found a woman unconscious inside who was transported downstairs and treated for smoke inhalation.

Ottawa Paramedics spokesperson Marc-Antoine Deschamps tells CTV News the woman was taken to hospital with critical injuries.

Firefighters attempted to revive one dog and one cat, who did not survive. Another dog was successfully revived.

Crews conducted a second search of the unit and found no one inside. The fire was put under control shortly before 7:20 p.m. and was contained to the unit, Defazio said.

Firefighters are currently ventilating the building and checking carbon monoxide levels.

Ottawa police have closed Booth Street between Albert and Primrose Avenues. Residents are being asked to avoid the area.

A fire investigator has been dispatched to the scene. 

This is a developing story

View original article here Source