Quebec headed for sixth wave, but it’s too soon to make the call: Boileau

Although cases and hospitalizations are on the rise in Quebec, public health says it’s too early to call it a sixth wave.

According to interim public health director Dr. Luc Boileau, there are no plans to reinstate health measures in the near future, but the situation will be closely monitored.

“[The increase is] not a surprise, it’s expected because of the measures that were released,” said Boileau at a Sunday press conference.

The province is still scheduled to lift the mask mandate by mid-April, although this could change if the situation continues to decline.

Boileau pointed out that, as hospitalizations increase elsewhere in Quebec, Montreal has remained relatively stable.

This may be because Montreal already experienced high Omicron rates earlier this year, meaning the variant isn’t packing as big a punch as before — even with the BA.2 sub-variant on the rise.

BA.2 accounts for about half of new infections in Quebec.

Public health is preparing a booster campaign for a fourth dose of vaccines, initially for those most at risk, such as those in long-term care facilities, seniors’ residences, immunosuppressed individuals, and the elderly.   

This is a developing story. 

View original article here Source