Over 80,000 customers in Ontario still without power after wind storm, Hydro One says

More than 80,000 Ontarians remained without power Sunday, a day after violent winds blew through the southern part of the province.

Utility Hydro One says 450,000 customers lost power during the wind storm, and crews were still working to get the lights back on for more than 81,000 as of Sunday night.

Read more: Over 200,000 still without power as high winds sweep through southern Ontario

The company says it has logged more than 250 broken poles and 53 damaged transformers so far, and those numbers are expected to grow.

Winds that surpassed 100 kilometres per hour also felled trees and knocked down power lines.

Click to play video: 'Global News at 6 Toronto: December 11, 2021' Global News at 6 Toronto: December 11, 2021

Global News at 6 Toronto: December 11, 2021

Hydro One says there were roughly 3,500 outages in hard-to-reach areas, which may take longer to resolve.

Story continues below advertisement

It’s urging people to stay away from downed lines because they could be dangerous.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

View original article here Source