Ottawa Public Health is reporting 32 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday, the same day Ontario saw the highest one-day increase in new cases in six months.
Medical officer of health Dr. Vera Etches also announced a fifth case of the Omicron COVID-19 variant of concern in Ottawa. Etches said the case was linked to recent travel, but provided no other details.
The 32 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday follows 74 new cases on Wednesday.
Since the first case of COVID-19 in Ottawa in March 2020, there have been 32,507 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, including 618 deaths.
Across Ontario, there are 1,290 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday. That’s the highest daily case count since May 24, when 1,446 infections were confirmed.
OTTAWA’S KEY COVID-19 STATISTICS
- COVID-19 cases per 100,000 (Dec 1 to Dec. 7): 40.2 (up from 39.8)
- Positivity rate in Ottawa (Dec. 1 to Dec. 7): 2.8 per cent (up from 2.5 per cent)
- Reproduction number (Seven day average): 1.10
Reproduction values greater than 1 indicate the virus is spreading and each case infects more than one contact. If it is less than 1, it means spread is slowing.
Of the 1,290 cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, 590 cases involve individuals who are not fully vaccinated.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says of the 155 people in ICU with COVID-19 related illnesses, 131 are not fully vaccinated. A total of 232 of the 309 people in hospital with COVID-19 are unvaccinated.
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health has updated its vaccination numbers to include children between ages five and 11, who are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
The health unit releases vaccine numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
As of Wednesday:
- Ottawa residents with 1 dose (5+): 872,183 (+3,804)
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (5+): 816,182 (+595)
- Share or population five and older with at least one dose: 87 per cent
- Share of population five and older fully vaccinated: 82 per cent
*Statistics on Ottawa residents with one or two doses include anyone with an Ottawa postal code who was vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
There are 451 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday, down from 475 active cases on Wednesday.
Ottawa Public Health reported 56 more newly resolved cases of COVID-19. The total number of resolved cases of coronavirus in Ottawa is 31,438.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.
HOSPITALIZATIONS IN OTTAWA
There are five people in Ottawa area hospitals with COVID-19 related illnesses on Thursday, down from six on Wednesday. That includes one person in the ICU.
Age categories of people in hospital:
- 0-9: 0
- 10-19: 0
- 20-29: 0
- 30-39: 0
- 40-49: 0
- 50-59: 0
- 60-69: 2
- 70-79: 1
- 80-89: 2 (1 in ICU)
- 90+: 0
(Ottawa Public Health is now reporting people in hospital with an “active” infection)
COVID-19 CASES IN OTTAWA BY AGE CATEGORY
- 0-9 years old: Four new cases (3,230 total cases)
- 10-19 years-old: Two new cases (4,359 total cases)
- 20-29 years-old: Seven new cases (7,120 total cases)
- 30-39 years-old: Five new cases (4,968 total cases)
- 40-49 years-old: Four new cases (4,260 total cases)
- 50-59 years-old: Seven new cases (3,708 total cases)
- 60-69-years-old: Three new cases (2,189 total cases)
- 70-79 years-old: Zero new cases (1,203 total cases)
- 80-89 years-old: Zero new cases (909 total cases)
- 90+ years old: Zero new cases (552 total cases)
- Unknown: Zero new cases (3 cases total)
VARIANTS OF CONCERN
Ottawa Public Health has added the new Omicron variant to its list of variants of concern.
- Total Alpha (B.1.1.7) cases: 6,851
- Total Beta (B.1.351) cases: 513
- Total Gamma (P.1) cases: 55
- Total Delta (B.1.617.2) cases: 1,341
- Total Omicron (B.1.1.529) cases: 5
- Total variants of concern/mutation cases: 12,457
- Deaths linked to variants/mutations: 122
*OPH notes that that VOC and mutation trends must be treated with caution due to the varying time required to complete VOC testing and/or genomic analysis following the initial positive test for SARS-CoV-2. Test results may be completed in batches and data corrections or updates can result in changes to case counts that may differ from past reports.
COVID-19 TESTING IN OTTAWA
The Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Task Force says 2,645 swabs were processed at assessment centres in Ottawa on Dec. 7.
A total of 3,920 lab tests performed in Ottawa on Tuesday.
The average turnaround from the time a swab is taken at a testing site to the result is 22 hours.
CASES OF COVID-19 AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 19 new cases
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: 23 new cases
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: 98 new cases
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit: 20 new cases
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: 14 new cases
Ottawa Public Health reports COVID-19 outbreaks at institutions and community outbreaks in Ottawa. There are two ongoing outbreaks in health care institutions and 29 in child care and school settings.
- Multi-unit Dwelling: One outbreak
- Religious/Spiritual Organization: One outbreak
- Sports & Recreation– Recreation: One outbreak
Schools and childcare spaces currently experiencing outbreaks:
- Assumption Catholic elementary school (Nov. 8)
- Académie Providence Soeurs Antonines (Nov. 16)
- Carlington Recreation Centre – Licenced Childcare Centre (Nov. 17)
- Le Carrefour – Services de garde agréés en Centre (Nov. 18)
- St. Rita Elementary School (Nov. 21)
- Carson Grove Elementary School (Nov. 22)
- Holy Redeemer Elementary School (Nov. 22)
- Chapel Hill Catholic School (Nov. 23)
- École élémentaire catholique St. François d’Assise (Nov. 24)
- Inuuqatigiit licenced childcare – Overbrook (Nov. 25)
- Notre Dame High School (Nov. 25)
- Frank Ryan Catholic Intermediate School (Nov. 26)
- École élémentaire catholique Elisabeth-Bruyère (Dec. 1)
- Half Moon Bay Public School (Dec. 1)
- Mary Honeywell Elementary School (Dec. 2)
- St. Marguerite d’Youville Elementary School (Dec. 2)
- St. Thomas More Elementary School (Dec. 2)
- Mifo Notre-Dame-Des-Champs – Service Garde Agrees Centre ( Dec. 2)
- École élémentaire catholique Jonathan-Pitre (Dec. 3) NEW
- École élémentaire publique Jeanne-Sauvé (Dec. 3)
- Berrigan Elementary School (Dec. 3) NEW
- St. Benedict Elementary School (Dec. 4) NEW
- École élémentaire publique Michaëlle-Jean (Dec. 4)
- École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Bernadette (Dec. 5)
- Featherston Drive Public School (Dec. 6)
- Vimy Ridge Public School (Dec. 7) NEW
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton elementary school (Dec. 7) NEW
- Osgoode Township High School (Dec. 7) NEW
- École élémentaire catholique Notre-Dame-des-Champs (Dec. 7) NEW
Healthcare and congregate settings experiencing outbreaks:
- Rooming House (Nov. 12)
- St. Patrick’s Home – Floors 3, 4, 5 (Nov. 17)
View original article here Source