A Calgary teenager and his father appeared in court on Tuesday as a hearing date was set for a terrorism peace bond application in connection with an investigation involving a video posted to TikTok.
Three people — a 20-year-old and two teens — were charged as part of an investigation led by the RCMP’s Integrated National Security Enforcement Team and the Calgary Police Service.
In June, Zakarya Rida Hussein, 20, and a 16-year-old were arrested. Four months later, a 15-year-old boy was also taken into custody as part of the ongoing investigation.
A publication ban protects the identities of the two teens under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The teens do not face criminal charges but prosecutor Kent Brown and defence lawyer James Molloy set a date in early January for a terrorism peace bond application, which would impose restrictions on the boys’ freedoms.
A peace bond is an acknowledgement that there are reasonable grounds to fear that a person may commit a terrorism offence.
Hussein faces four terrorism-related charges.
He is accused of posting a video to TikTok in May that facilitated and contributed to ISIS and al-Qaeda activities, the documents reveal.
As well, Hussein is accused of creating and possessing instructions on how to make explosives.
In a statement previously provided to CBC News, TikTok said it “stands firmly against violent extremism” and confirmed the account in question violated its community guidelines. It said the account has been permanently banned.
View original article here Source